Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Insight

Ok, so i wasn't planning on writing a blog today, and i have limited time to finish this one, but i thought i would post an insight i had today, i kind of revelation if you will. So, as many of you probably know i have been robbed twice, and lost most of my faith in Dominicans. So, if someone left a cell phone somewhere, no one is gonna return it to the front desk or call someone in the phone book to return it. ITs every man for himself here, lol. Well, today i was heading into the city, wearing my zipoff pants with really shallow pockets. My phone was in said pocket, and upon exiting the public car (main form of transportation here) must have fallen out onto the backseat. I did not realize this until i had reached the internet cafe. I quickly realized it and hustled back to the main road. For a brief moment my mind was this: im thinking how much this sucked, i would have to take a bus to the capital to get a new phone (700 pesos trip), my number would be different so no one would know it, i would lose all my friends, wouldn't hear about anything, pretty much my life is over, right? Normally this would make me lose it, i have a relatively short fuse, and i lose stuff all the time, phones, watches, wallets. Well, i decided to just TRUST that it would work out. I began to lose it, then regained myself, asked God for strength and hustled back the half mile to the route the cars are on. These public cars have a distinct route, and i took the B-car route so i knew where he would pass by again, but by this point he would have already filled the car up again and made a complete round trip. Someone would have seen the phone and taken it, it is a pretty nice phone. So im standing on the side of the road trying to memorize the car and the driver, i stopped 2 other cars thinking that was it and they looked at me like i was crazy, one guy said, "its long gone". Then, like a shimmering angel i spotted the car made eye contact with the driver, my heart raced as i realized this was it. If he does not have it, my week just got a lot worse. I asked him if he has seen it, he reaches down into his seat and hands me my phone with a smile on his face, i say " Ay Dios, gracias a dios!!" (Thank you God!!!) This may seem like a really stupid story to all of you guys, and i know its hard for you guys at home to relate because its pretty easy to replace a phone. This made me realize a few things that i wanted to share, though.
1. We put way to much stock into personal items. I realized how big of an impact this little phone had in my life and it was pathetic, lol.
2. We have to trust in God more. My mom, once told me, "people will always let you down. We are human, and no one is perfect. We may even let you down as your parents, but God will never let you down, he always has your back". In this instance, Dominicans blew away my expectations, but i thing it was because i trusted that God would take care of it. Even though it would have made my life a lot more stressful, it wasn't anything i couldn't handle with Him. It gave me great comfort. I truly think God was testing my faith/trust in Him. I think he rewarded that faith by giving me my phone back. You have to understand, this was like a miracle to me, haha. I never expected to see that phone again. To sum it up, I think God sometimes takes things away from us in order to shift our focus onto what is really important. He tests our faith and trust in Him, because there will be times when He is the only one we can trust. This has become more relevant in my life, the past few weeks have been really rough with work, community issues, general life stuff and I have been praying to be able to see God, to want to trust him with these issues that seem to drown me, to not have to worry all the time. I think thats exactly what he showed me today. At least, thats the message im taking out of it, may sound crazy to you, lol. He showed me that if i trust Him, everything will work out. It may not happen just like I want it to, because he has own plans for our lives, but sometimes it works out just how you hoped. He took away something i held dear, then returned it. Either way He will solve the problem, the trick is to keep that faith even when there doesn't seem an end in sight.
As for the 2 other people that i stopped, i was looking for answers in the wrong places. I thought i had found it! but twice i was disappointed, im not saying Jesus has a B-car route, but i kept the faith, seeked and found.

I just wanted to share this story with you all, because i know im not the only human that has struggles, haha, ps. i have more diarrhea, yippee. Hope this helps some of you as it has helped me.

Keep the faith! Adios

2 comments: