Monday, May 7, 2012

The Last Letter

What have I been up to lately you ask?
Nothing. I have been wasting your tax dollars sitting in my apartment watching heat waves kill pigeons. But really. I have been wrapping up my service here. I have been closing down most of my projects. I just finished the last round of cement floors/bathrooms on Sunday. I am really happy about how this round turned out. We were able to put floors in 8 homes and bathrooms in 4. A great note to end on. I attended a few more camps as well, most notably camp superman! 4 days camping in the woods, we zip lined, rock climbed, obstacle coursed, swam in rivers....and taught young boys a lot of very important things, of course.

Other than that, i have just been hanging out with friends and neighbors, just saying goodbye, selling all my worldly possessions for pennies on the dollar and all that jazz.

                                       Before
                                         After

This will probably be my last blog...who am i kidding....this is my last blog.

So this is it. I leave this Friday. 27 months ago I arrived on this island with severe abdominal pain, continued to lose 15 pounds, got robbed at gunpoint, kicked a naked bum out of the house after he pooped and peed on the couch, met the most incredible people and acquired a family i could never have dreamt  of.

It is hard to know exactly how to feel after 2 years here. On one hand, i am very happy to be going home and seeing my friends and family, but on the other hand, i am leaving my friends and family behind. It is the definition of bitter-sweet. I have realized that i am truly blessed and rich in love. Most people i know here do not have much, yet they are happier than most people i know in the states. Yea, they do complain a lot, they ask for a lot of handouts, they get angry.....some have robbed me........this is taking a different turn.....ha, with the exception of a few people everyone has made me feel like the richest guy in the world (except for the people who assumed i was rich.....and stole from me.....:)

Basically, i am very glad i made the decision to be a Peace Corps volunteer, im glad i stayed the whole time, im glad i had a lot of hard times, im glad i had a lot of great times. I like the person i am better than looking back on who i was. This country has changed me. I will never be the same.

I would like to say thanks to everyone who has read this blog. Thanks for supporting me. I wanna shout out a few peeps too:
Mom and Dad: I would not have even arrived at this point in my existence on earth if it weren't for the relentless support you have poured into everything I have ever done. I love you guys!
Grandma/Grandpa/Carrie/Kim/Gator: Thanks so much for the emails, calls, visits, cash, everything haha. You guys don't realize how much i appreciate just knowing that you guys care.
Stephy: Thanks for visiting me! You and Jeanne actually followed through on your promise. Meant a lot to be able to share a little of my life with you. Im glad you got to meet my family here. Hope you had a good time!
Jeanne and Matt: Whatevs Gene.
Just kidding! I knew you guys were sure bets to come down. I hope you know how much i appreciate the follow through. Its nice to know that no matter where in the world I go, you will start saving that dollar to come visit. And i can always expect mail from you Gene,.....even if i don't want it :) but secretly love it, ha. Love you guys.
Chase, Matt, Cam (whole MD crew basically): Thanks for making it such a seamless transition when i visited home. It was like i had been gone a day. Thanks for making time to hang out. Wouldn't be the guy I am today without you bros.
Josh, Matt, Cory, Cousin, Steph (Tampa Crew): Thanks for staying friends with me, ha. I was worried that when I left for Peace Corps we would all drift apart, but 2 Christmases ago when i got to see all you I knew we would be stuck together for a while. Im pretty pumped about it. I am especially pumped that I get to see you all the day after i get back! I can't believe you guys are coming to the MD. I really appreciate all of you.
Babe: i will try to remember my spanish, ha! You're awesome. Christmas club saved my life.

You guys are all reasons why I am who I am(take it or leave it :). I hope to make each and every one of you proud with whatever I do in life, because without the support and love I would be dead in a ditch somewhere, or hanging out with that bum, or shopping at Jos. A Bank. Thank you for that .

You guys rock!
Adios!

Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment