Friday, August 6, 2010

First Class!

So i taught my first class yesterday! You may ask what i have been doing up until this point, since ive been here for 5 months and am just now starting to work. I was in training for about 3 months, and when i graduated from training it was summer, so there was no school. School doesnt officially start here till the 18th, but i just taught my first class at the prison i work at on the side. IT was really overwhelming. I taught two classes from 10-12 yesterday. IT was difficult because there were inmates with all different kinds of education. I had a few who were very tech savvy, a few who new the basics, and then a few who didnt even know how to ready or write. It was such a shock. I didnt even account for the fact that they couldnt read Microsoft Office, so telling them two open that program was useless. So some students were interested, others bored, others had no clue what was going on. I was trying to juggle all of these competencies and it was just really overwhelming for the first class i have ever taught in my life. Not to mention one of the inmates who was pretty competent, but was in jail for murder....wrote a document in Word that said something to the effect of....Im in prison, but i dont want to be, ive killed a lot of different people for a lot of different reasons, but i dont want to be here anymore......That sent chills up my spine. Hes the only dude in there that legitimately scares me. He just looks the part, however bad that it is to say.I was accompanied by 3 legit security guards, so i don't think there will ever be any problems. They also stole my sunglasses, hahaha. I had set them down on the table and at the end of class they were gone. I should have expected that, shouldn't have left them that exposed.
It was a good experience and im glad i got the first class out of the way, so next time i will be more prepared.
So another group of peace corps volunteers is coming in this month. A Fresh batch of newbies. I cant wait to stare into their hope filled eyes and tell them, "you will have what can only be described as epic diarrhea." hahaha. It will be cool to show em the ropes though. Wide eyed and bushy tailed (mom). haha.
Well there is a mysterious odor coming from my bathroom. Im not sure what exactly it is. Ive been working the past couple days to try and pinpoint the source. Its like a mixture of dead rat....and pineapple curry.......and some carrot. Really odd. I disenfected the bathroom yesterday, but its still there. Oh, i also installed a new deadbolt on my door. woo hoo.
Thats about it for now.
Love and miss you guys a lot!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Joe. Suggestion: Get the better educated members of the class to help lesser educated members. (There may be one exception!!) Could be a win-win (I thinnk??)
    LOVE and Prayers
    Grampa and Gramma

    ReplyDelete