Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Another rash

Soo in addition to the poison ivy that i have on my right arm. I have a few more mystery rashes on my left arm, waist line, fingers and thigh. I think it may be either bed bugs or scabies for real this time. Im gonna try to change and burn my sheets and wash all my clothes. I dont ever get rashes in the states but here they are copious. whatever,
So, as someone pointed out to me the other day, all my blogs are about my ailments, muggings and frustrations here in the DR. Im going to try and change that.

So, This week at school has been interesting. I have gotten to know a lot of the students. Many of which have told me that it is ok for a 22 year old to date a 14 year old. For instance, the girl sitting right next to me that cant understand english has a boyfriend that is 25 years old. She is 15.... haha. This is just another cultural norm here. Very interesting. Also all the dudes have invited me to drink and do drugs with them, haha. City living.
Also, my host family was not aware that they were getting paid for me to live there, so when i gave them there money for the month, you could imagine their surprise. An american handing them 1000 pesos for no apparent reason, haha. They perked right up, offering their house for the next 2 years, lol. I had to tell them that i am moving out after 3 months, so that ruins their plans for a satellite dish.
I was also volunteered to form an escojo mi vida youth group, which is to form a group of students to teach about aids awareness, health issues, english, and other things like that. Inicially i was kinda bummed about it, because it would detract from my work, but then i realized i really dont have that much to do here so im actually excited about this group, im gonna make it fun. I get to choose 10 students to impart my ample wisdom to. I will probably start by showing the movie Dumb and Dumber in Spanish and tell them that this is what Americans are like.
Today i am making 100 copys of a survey that i have to give to the students here in order to start my diagnostic. We have one more week of school, and then it is vacation time, lol, Peace Corps is a rough job guys. I will still have some work with this escojo mi vida group in the summer, gracias a dios. i dont want to just sit around all day for 2 months.

So, in case you guys were wondering this is my day-to-day
8:30- wake up and start thinking about when i will go to sleep that night.
9:00- breakfast, usually scrambled eggs and bread
9:15- leave for school
9:17- arrive at school, commence standing around and taking to students about why i do or do not have a girlfriend, how many women i can have here, and what type of drug i want to do this weekend.
12:00 leave to go back home for lunch
12:30- finished lunch, naptime for a good 2-3 hours
3-4 ish- return to school if i feel up to it, which i usually do.
6:00- leave school to come back home. Usually at this point ill read my book, which right now is, A Prayer for Owen Meany(one of the best books i have ever read), or play my guitar, or talk to my host family. Basically just take it easy and chill ouside on the front porch. Thats another great thing about this cultrue, people just sit on their front porch and hang out, talk to the neighbors, no TV, just hang out, its really cool. So we do that until about....
8:30- Dinner time! My host mom is an awesome cook, and i usually get chicken or spaghetti with rice, plantains.
9:30- I usually watch a movie on my laptop or talk to other volunteers on the phone to get my english fill in for the day.
11:00-12:00- usually fall asleep.

So now that your all asleep, that is what i do everyday. Stressfull huh? Its alot worse when you have all these rashes, ahaha.

Anyways, love and miss you guys tons, nos hablamos ahorita

2 comments:

  1. You know I am thrilled to learn the details of your schedule. :-) Can you get some medical attention for the rashes? The poision Ivy could be spreading. You should check with peace corp about what to do. Glad to hear about the good food you have to eat. It is sad to hear about the students and their lifestyle. Check your e-mail. Love ya Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried bug repellant?
    Guess your body needs Fabreeze!
    Interestion schedule.
    Prayin you will soon be 100%
    Love Ya.
    Grampa and Gramma

    ReplyDelete