Thursday, May 6, 2010

Santiago!

Entonces......here i am. I was given the assignment of working at a exclusive Magnet school in Santiago, the second largest city in the DR. It has its pluses and minuses, for example, i have 24 hours of electricty and running water, on the flip side, i have 24 hours of electricity and running water. I was really expecting a much more bare bones experience. How many times in life do you get the opportunity to live in the bush ya know? I was hoping for something a little more rural. Not to mention, my school has vritually no need for me. They have 40 brand new computers and 30 solar panels to power them. The school was built year ago and it is nicer than 90% of the schools in the US. The only thing i feel like i can contribute here is english. BUT i have only been here a couple days so i dont know the entire situation. I know i am going to have to clean up the computers software wise and help the tech repairs, but i just feel like there are a million different places here that need MORE help than here. I am 5 minutes from an outback steak house and baskin robbins. I might as well be working in Orlando. I have my own desk and air conditioning. BUT, i am starting to come to terms with the fact that i will be resigned to the proffesional life rather than the campo life. Yesterday i was really stressed beacuse i had to introduce myself to 650 students and all the administration here. Also, my project partner continued to say that i would make everyone here fluent in english by the end of 2 years. There is really a lot of pressure for me to perform here, which is good and bad.
Anyways, so now that i am in the site where i will be living for 2 years, i can finally start investing n this place. There are 2 volunteers within 30 minutes of me, but im virtually alone american-wise. My and some new friends went to the river today, cool you may say, yes it was, but i wasnt planning on going swimming and neither was anyone else, so when they all stripped nude i was kind of taken back. I stripped down......to my boxers....lol...and jumped in, the water was great, but it was definitely a weird experience. One of the first things im going to buy here is a bicycle. Everything is very close, so having a bike will make things cheaper and more fun.
My host family here is really cool. They have to 19 year old kids, a boy and a girl, and they are really cool to chill with. One of them is getting married in july and i proceeded to tell her it was the biggest mistake she would make and to think long and hard about it, hahaha. They also have a dog who is pregnant so i may be getting a puppy!
So, basically, im adjusting to this new lifestyle. I guess a big positive out of this is that it will be a lot easier for people to visit me here because Santiago is a major airport hub, and my house is not far frm the center. Plus a major resort town is like an hour away, and pico duarte mountain is a little more than an hour away. Also, the temperature is way cooler here.
Also!!!!! I HAVE A PHONE NOW! MY NUMBER IS 1-809-723-6564. if any of you fools wanna pay 60 bucks a minute to call, lol.
anyways, love and miss you guys like crazy, hablamos

4 comments:

  1. Guess you thought running water more important than outback!!! You can visit your friends for a reality check.
    We always knew you were smart- a professor yet???
    Love ya and praying
    Grampa and Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude sry you aren't in a more rural area but where you are sounds pretty legit! I am super stoked to visit! Good advise you gave your host family's daughter! lol Maybe i will save up and call you sometime lol hope your having fun man! Do work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe,

    Glad to hear you are exploring your new environment. There are so many experiences heading your way, no matter if you are living in the campo or city. Embrace it. Love ya,

    Ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want a partial campo experience, just visit my house. the PC docs described it as ¨quaint¨

    ReplyDelete