Sunday, May 16, 2010

Scabbies

woohoo another mystery tropical illness! At first i thought it was scabbies but then i visited the doctor and she told me it was allergic reaction to a previously undiscovered critter. I think it was from when i slept bare armed on the floor of a hostal in downtown santo domingo with 6 other people. This place is filthy, lol. Other than that, this weekend was a blast. We stayed thrusday and friday night at a seamingly clean hostal with air conditioning and running hot water. We went to a Peace Corps Prom, where all the volunteers from around the country came. It was a great night to get to know a bunch of new people. Then firday we went out to a rooftop bar the clonial zone and just chilled. This whole Peace Corps thing suits me pretty well, ahah. Alot of chilling involved. Now today im hanging out in my barrio waiting for my infected arm to stop itching. Ihave taken oral hydrocrotizone and a bunch of other pills to try and combat whatever this is, but it is relentless. Could be a lot worse though.
So anyways, the rest of this week is based on literacy training. Basically, how to teach people to read and write in spanish. We are on lockdown today becuse of eleccions, and people are getting kinda loose. Carrying guns around is very common and i have been thinking bout purchasing an AK-47 for my own personal safety. Its funny to note that in the us, if there is a guard at the bank he has a tiny pistol in a holster. Here they carry shotgun across their chest. ITs very intimidating.
So anyways, thats about all i got for now. and im running out of time. Keep in touch and dont be afraid to spend the $60 or so dollars a minute to call me, lol, love and miss you guys tons! adios!

4 comments:

  1. What is next??
    You need some of our Zinc oxide ointment!
    I guess the life style suits you.
    Will pray extra for your health.
    Love Ya! Grampa and Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice we had a chat today. Don't scratch that poision ivy it will spread. Case got to take a friend to playoff game yesterday. They had great seats. I printed your blog and sent it to grampa babe. He liked reading it. He probaby read it instead of reading the paper and after he combed his hair. Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. JOE!!

    So this is going to make me sound like a horrible friend....but for some reason I knew about your blog, but just now found it and read it all!! (Oh and finally figured out how to post a comment. For some reason that took me awhile, lol!) Your adventure so far sounds...well....like an adventure! I can't wait for you to keep blogging so that I can keep reading! I've added your blog website to my Booksmark Bar on my computer, so now I'll be able to keep up much easier! So did it end up being scabies or poison ivy?!?

    I've been a busy bee between work and moving. I moved into a house with Tiffany on Lake Joanna. It's about 1/3 of my rent and closer to everyone else! I'll probably stay there till I am ready to start some travel nursing at the end of this year/beginning of next. It's down to the Magic and Celtics for the Eastern Division finals. Magic lost again tonight to the Celtics so it's 2-0. Our brothers went to the first game this past Sunday. Lucky boys!

    Hope you blog soon! Miss you!
    LG

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Chase and I did the Muddy Buddy race last weekend! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete