Wednesday, May 12, 2010

COT Survey

Ok, so i gotta make this quick. At the end of every volunteers 2 years of service they are asked to fill out a close-of-service questionnare. They are compiled into a magazine called the Gringo Grita, which is like a Peace Corps magazine, anywyas, they are always very fun to read so i thought i would retrofit the COS survey into a close of training survey since TODAY is the day we swear in as US Peace Corps Volunteers, and our training will finally be over. Its more or less a look back on the past 2 months and change. Entonces:
1. DR nicknames: Jose, Joucito
2. Site: Santiago
3. Program: Information and Communication Technology (IT)
4. Project Assignment: Work with a Polytechnic Highschool to create a sustainable community lab, while teaching and assisting in courses in advanced computer repair, excel, and English.
5. Most useful thing brought into country: Bible, headlamp, tighty whiteys.
6. Least useful thing brought into country: so far, baseball glove, go figure right?
7. Best, "i know im in peace corps moment": Well it was within the first week here in Santo Domingo and i had recently contracted a mysterious gastrointestinal.......conflict.....so one night i rush into the bathroom to let loose the dragon when i see everyone else "contributions" already in and around the toilet. Time was of the essence so i dropped trau and did the deed. Keep in mind there is no running water or elctricity so i get up from the toilet turn around and begin bucket flushing the toilet, all the while everyone elses excrement is hastily flying at and or around my person and the mosquitos attacking my bare bum. From utter exhaustion i stumble back to bed under my mosquito net in the pitch black and pass out till morning. I also frequently see women breast feeding in public transportation.
8. I knew i was dominican when: I crammed myself and suitcase into a 1978 toyota corrola with 7 other people. I also saw a dead cow on the side of the highway.
9. Most beautiful place you have seen yet in country: Playa Esmeralda!
10. How have you changed so far during your service: I have learned how to manage diarrhea and not let it control my life. I also eat street food now.
11. What do you hope to do during your 2 years: Climb Pico Duarte, never contract any kind of exotic illness, and take everything in stride.

So this was more for me to look back on in 2 years and compare my own survey with this. But i thought i would be interesting for you guys to see a little bit of what training is like.}
All in all, as much as i complain and make jokes about this place, i would rather be here doing this right now, than anywhere else in the world. Looking back, this has been the most incredible 2 months and change of my life. I have made solid friendships with amazing people, danced in a way i never thought i could or would want to, eating things i would never dream of, and seen things i would have never imagined possible.
This is the most incredible experience, and i am looking forward to the next two years of my life.
Love and miss you guys tons, adios!

3 comments:

  1. I do believe this is your Calling! After all you've been through! Great idea to summarize "trial by fire". Great talking with you the other day. You sounded great.
    Love and prayers
    Grampa and Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember the poem by Lee Ann Rimes I wrote on your senior year book page about about not taking the path of least resistance, feeling small when you stand beside the ocean and hoping you will dance. Your dancing Joe! (in more ways than one) My heart is glad for you son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list. I would love to see Playa Esmeralda. Celtics/Magic begin today in O-town. Baseball glove? Where you thinking maybe you may be walking down the street and a baseball game would break out and you could exclaim, "I got a glove!" Keep your eyes open for new experiences, be safe.

    ReplyDelete